The day that many Californians have been anticipating for has finally arrived.
Those who have been fined with tickets, court fees and car impoundments due to not having a driver license because of their legal status, don’t have to worry anymore. A new law signed by Jerry Brown, is allowing millions of people in California to drive legally.
This law is called Assembly Bill 60 (AB 60) and has been effective since January 1, 2015. The implementation of AB 60 has required the DMV in California to issue a driver license to those applicants that are unable to give satisfactory proof of legal presence in the United States.
According to the AB Driver License Implementation, applicants applying for an original driver license will need the following (dmv.ca.org):
- Complete a driver license application form (DL44) offered at the DMV office.
- Must make an appointment online or call 1-800-777-0133 before visiting a DMV office. Walk-ins
- are only available at the driver license processing centers (DLPCs)
- Pass a vision test, written test, and if applicable, a road sign test
- Give a thumb print
- Have a picture taken
- Take the behind-the-wheel driving test
Under AB 60, applicants will also need to provide DMV with proof of identity and California residency documentations. Here is a short guideline with the type of documents needed for proof of identity and California residency:
California driving license or California identification card
- Proof of Identity
- Foreign documents
- Foreign passport
- Foreign birth certificate
- Income tax returns
- School documents
- Court documents
- Divorce decrees
Proof of California Residency (Must have first & last name with California residence address)
- Rental or Lease agreements with signatures of the owner/landlord & tenant/resident
- Titles to residential real property
- Mortgage bills
- Home utility bills and cellular bills
- Medical documents
- Employment documents
- Insurance documents ( medical, vision, life, rental, vehicle)
For a complete guideline to help you determine the documents needed when applying for a driver license please select one of the following forms: English (PDF) , Spanish (PDF).